Welcome to my blog!
As part of my Music Education degree at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, I will be blogging my experiences in the class of Technology in Music Education.
- Week 12.5Ethan Hein Special Edition In this week’s special edition of mid-week blogs, this actually isn’t one about TME, but rather, two other ed subjects I’m currently taking, Popular Music Studies (PMS) and Fundamentals of Teaching (FoT)! PMS As I sit here reflecting on the PMS lecture, listening to DAMN by Kendrick Lamar, the Pulitzer PrizeContinue reading “Week 12.5”
- Week 12What’s inside: Steps towards beating procrastination Procrastination: bad! Organisation: good! It seems quite ironic that I’m writing this blog as I currently procrastinate the two assignments I have due next week (and the ones due in the weeks following…) Personally, I have a bullet journal. I got into bullet journaling because the diaries they gaveContinue reading “Week 12”
- Week 11.5Project Planning Schedule and Initial Ideas Initial Ideas Lots of the docos out there on YouTube at the moment are just compilations of songs from 1955-2017 or 1929-2019. There is one Sydney Con paper presentation from 2012. Nothing really contemporary or history/background based. This is the direction I want to take – unique market appeal,Continue reading “Week 11.5”
- Week 11What’s inside: The Modern Musician’s Toolkit Project Idea Confirmed! I know all you avid readers will be disappointed, but there’s no awesome song or video to entertain you this week made in class… I might include a sneaky link to a remix I made for another class this week at the end, but I digress.Continue reading “Week 11”
- Week 10Major Project Ideas So it’s come to that point in the semester that I have to choose my major digital creative project for class and it’s actually a lot harder than I expected! Being a part of the tech-gen, so much of my life has been shaped by the influences of technological development. Computer classesContinue reading “Week 10”
- Week 9What’s inside: Electronic Mayhem via Ableton Four (4!) Challenges??? This week was a very exciting week for me! I love electronic music so getting to play around with the technology and fancy resources with supervision (and structure) was a dream come true. Being an electronic/dance music fan (which I’ll talk more about next week), I’veContinue reading “Week 9”
- Week 8What’s inside: The Maker Movement So this week I decided to spice things up a little and give myself a doubly challenging week to write my blog. Well, write isn’t exactly the right work this week… Instead of my usual written blog, I decided that I’d test my video/audio editing skills as well as myContinue reading “Week 8”
- Week 7What’s inside: Synthesiser basics Sonic Pi: coding meets music Synth basics Through high school I actually played percussion, and later keys, in my stage band. Our favourite and best set was our “Bruno Mars” set with Treasure, Locked out of Heaven and Runaway Baby. On quite a few of these charts there was either aContinue reading “Week 7”
- Week 6What’s inside: Video editing using pro software (not as a pro) The magic of screen recording Adobe Premiere Pro As part of the whole Miss Corona time out, the University of Sydney has graciously given us access to the Adobe fancy programs (none of which I have ever considered using, nor do I know howContinue reading “Week 6”
- Week 5.5In this week’s interlude post, I thought I’d share my experiences with online instrumental lessons. I’ve had two violin lessons online this week and both lessons were very different experiences. The first lesson went pretty well: the audio was better than expected, both my teacher and I could see each other quite well and theContinue reading “Week 5.5”
- Week 5What’s inside: Videoing Audio Bonus Content Videoing Videoing a performance or a class is a lot harder than expected. There’s all this stuff about videoing from different angles so you can see the item more clearly and making sure the video itself looks good. In my experience of videoed performances, I’ve just had a videoContinue reading “Week 5”
- Week 4What’s inside: The first Zoom lessons Music Notation software ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM Today’s class is brought to you entirely by experimentation with technological music education for the first time! Zoom is pretty cool so far – I don’t mind it. I feel like there’s potentially going to be issues when my home internet konks outContinue reading “Week 4”
- Week 3.5It’s Corona/CoVid Time?? I know the new “C” word might be a bit scary for all of us at the moment. I know I’ve been very overwhelmed in the past few days with the hundreds of Canvas notifications and emails from Uni on top of all the overload of media attention. I’m in a privilegedContinue reading “Week 3.5”
- Week 3What to expect this week: Critical Thinking™️ New website design Memes (really bad ones I’m sorry) Critical Thinking A big theme for this week is critical thinking. Whether that’s about a scholarly article you’re reading for the Class/Rom tutorial assignment, or even the article on top moments from Kath and Kim from Pedestrian TV thatContinue reading “Week 3”
- Week 2.5In a break from the usual schedule of posting, I’m here to update you all on all the audio clips I’ve been talking about in my week 1 and 2 blogs. Exciting news – I have solved my technology dilemmas and worked out a way of uploading audio files without having a premium wordpress accountContinue reading “Week 2.5”
- Week 2Audio Recording/Tracking This week extended what we started with GarageBand and SoundTrap last week. Instead of using pre-made sounds to create music, we made our own sounds. We learned how to plug in interfaces so that we could use microphones directly into our computers. In groups we recorded a selection of sounds to create aContinue reading “Week 2”
- Week 1Mindfulness? Soundtrap To kick off the actual working hard bit of the class we looked into a method of at-home music production which is available online and free (on a trial). Soundtrap is comparable to other software such as Ableton Live and Avid Pro Tools, however, there are educational features such as assignments, lesson plansContinue reading “Week 1”
- Week 0Hello! This is my first blog on this site and since we haven’t officially begun coursework so I’ve decided to give you all a little rundown of my experiences with technology and music education. Using SmartBoards Music notation software (eg. Sibelius, Finale, MuseScore) Electronic music production software (GarageBand, GroovePizza) Uploading personal work to SoundCloud UsingContinue reading “Week 0”
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.